- KidEngage Writing Competition Winning Entry - A lesson in What's Precious by Diya
- The Balancing Act at TIFLI Hyderabad
- Reels that Rule: 6 movies to watch with kids this winter!
- Computer Education for children: Recycle Bin is better than Trash Can
- KidEngage Writing Competition Winning Entry – 'Lost' by Tannishi
Decoupage can seem like a very complicated technique!
It is actually quite simple. If you can cut and paste, you already know most of the techniques involved.
The word découpage comes from the French verb découper, ‘to cut out’. This technique can be used to personalise almost any item in your home and the great thing is that the designs can be as simple or as complex as you like.Basically, you cut out pictures; you glue the pictures onto an object and then cover the object and pictures with a few coats of glue/decoupage medium to protect it. You might even have everything you need to make your project lying around your home right now. The finished item can look so beautiful that it appears to be professionally painted.
So, gather together your supplies and start crafting!
Do you need special paper for découpage?
There are so many picture sources available for this craft. You can cut pictures out of:
- Wrapping paper – ideal thickness and widely used as it is available in a multitude of both traditional and up-to-date designs.
- Découpage papers – these are pictures selected specifically for this craft and are widely available in many designs
- Greetings cards
- Paper napkins
- Origami papers – these are small square sheets of paper with mini designs and patterns on.
- Copyright-free source books – these contain pictures of all types.
Tip: If you are new to découpage, choose pictures which have a clear outline as this will make them easier to cut out than those with blurred edges. If you’re worried about using original pictures you can colour copy or scan them instead.
Materials That You Will Need
- Canvas Frame
- Decoupage Glue – 50 ml
- Small Brush – for painting on glue
- Sponge Brush – for painting edge
- Mod Podge
- Varnish (Optional)
- Paper Towel/ clean cloth to wipe
How to Make
Have fun creating your own fabulous decoupage painting on a canvas! Do share pictures of your artwork with us.