Most of us travel in summer to recharge our batteries. But do you know that travelling and vacations can be a profoundly beneficial time for children? Parents are focused not on work, but on play, thereby giving their children the prized gift of time!
Travel is a wonderful experience for kids! It offers them a chance to explore new places, try something new and reconnect with the family. Children can learn more from vacations than they do any other time of year because they are immersed in the moment — they experience what’s around you and get to ask questions, get involved and explore.
How Travelling benefits children
All the experiences that children encounter during travel will last them a long time! Here are some reasons why you should take your children travelling.
- Patience – Children learn patience when travelling! Travelling can bring unexpected delays and there are many occasions when you may have nothing to do but wait. Long bus rides, waiting in queues, all take up quite a lot of time which will teach your kids to be patient and wait their turn.
- Independence and Responsibility – Travelling teaches children to be responsible for their belongings and make sure they pack all that they will need.
- Diversity of Culture and Customs – Travelling exposes children to varied languages and culture. They get to know how different people across the globe live and their different values. They learn about new languages, history, people, cuisines and cultures. And how even in this diversity, we are all the same!
- Family Bonding – When Travelling together we share experiences and this strengthens the family bond and help to bring us closer as a family. Experiences such as when you almost run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, or the first time you all try something new together — like riding a rollercoaster or spotting wildlife. Travelling helps create memories that are special for the whole family!
- Learning experiences – Travel offers children real-world experiences and provides them with substance and rich perspectives to what your child has learned in school. It also teaches that many new things can be learnt as a group rather than individually when they experience places together. Travel helps children experience a wide repertoire of sights, smells, sounds, colors, faces and languages and this helps their overall development.
- Focus on making memories – Children learn the value of accumulating memories of lovely times they spent travelling as a family. They learn that life is about gathering rich experiences and memories as they will last to the very end of their lives.
- Socializing and Tolerance – Children learn to socialize better with new acquaintances and this teaches them about what really matters is celebrating life with smiles and laughter. This also teaches them acceptance and tolerance.
- Flexibility and Adaptability – Traveling exposes children to a new ‘normal.’ It allows them to be more adaptable to changing situations and be more flexible in their habits. Travel helps young kids in trying new things and saying ‘yes’ to new experiences. Children also learn problem-solving and risk-taking during different travel experiences when things do not go as expected.
- Curiosity and a love for Adventure – Travel helps kindle children’s imagination and encourages them to engage in creative play and ask questions. This helps ignite their curiosity and a love for nature and adventure.
- Interest in the world – Travel makes children interested in geography, maps, history, architecture, and the world. They learn to have a better understanding of their environment and they know that it’s a big world out there.
- Home is special – It is always a great feeling to get back home after all the travelling. Children love their own rooms, bed and getting back to their routine and this makes them value the special place called home! It can also teach them about how fortunate they are to have what they have!
Raise young little travelers – It’s worth it!
Travelling with your children could be challenging and tiring but it is a lovely experience which provides you with wonderful memories that can be cherished for a lifetime. You can bring back a lot more than pictures and souvenirs when you travel with your little children strengthening your family ties, bringing you closer than before.
Do you travel with your kids? Do you have any travelling stories to share?