Tie and dye is the simplest and the most interesting and vibrant form of resist dyeing.
The fabrics which are tied and dyed are very colorful and have different patterns and designs. This is one of the oldest methods found in the east especially in China, Egypt, India, Japan and Indonesia.
Tie-dyeing is a fun and creative way to add personality to clothing and fabrics. Using rubber bands or string, the material of the item to be dyed is bunched together to make different patterns, shapes and colors. There are a variety of simple patterns you can try, from spirals to mirror patterns.
Here’s how you and the kids can easily make one at home:
Bullseye Tie Dye Technique
You will need
- White Handkerchief – 1
- Fabric Paints – 3 bottles (any colors)
- Rubber band – 2
- One big bowl of plain water
- One cup of water for mixing the color
- Paint brush – 1
- Plastic wrap
- The handkerchief needs to be wet, so we soak it in the bowl of water. And Squeeze it hard.
- Spread it on plastic wrap
- Pinch and pull up fabric where you want to center of the pattern to be.
- Wrap on by one rubber band around pinched fabric, Forming a “Tube” shape, use two rubber bands.
- Apply colors on the fabric as shown in the images.
- After applying colors wrap the handkerchief and it for 12 hours
- After 12 hours wash it with normal water.
- Viola! Your beautiful pattern is ready.
Liked this? Also read: