Today we celebrate the life and works of one of the greatest children’s authors in the world. Whether you favour Fantastic Mr. Fox or have a soft spot for The BFG, there’s no denying Roald Dahl’s unique and colourful style changed children’s literature forever.
Celebrate Roald Dahl Day (13th September 2019) with these phizz-whizzing, wondercrump activities!
- Read these 15 phizz whizzing books by Roald Dahl that you must not miss.
- Listen to Roald Dahl’s audio books or story read alouds
Watch one of these movie adaptions of Roald Dahl’s books.
- Pretend to be a Roald Dahl Character and see if your friends can guess them correctly.
- Have a costume party with one of these Roald-Dahl book-themed dress-up costumes
- Golden Ticket Treasure Hunt – Paint a large piece of cardboard with gold paint and cut it into rectangles, add numbers with 3D paints. Hide these around the house and give each player a number to go and hunt for. The players can trade their tickets for a gift!
- Jump across the chocolate river – Lay in a dark brown coloured cloth or paper on the floor. The players need to jump over this “chocolate river”. Adjust the width depending on the age of the players.
- Invent your own chocolate – Use materials like play dough, beads etc and create your own chocolate.
- Pick the worms from Mrs.Twit’s spaghetti – Use a plate of cooked spaghetti and add in a few gummy worms,. The players will need to blindfold and pick the worms without using their hands!
- Make up words like Roald Dahl
- Make minpin decorated pots.
- Make Fantastic Mr.Fox masks
- Make Mr.Twits beard
- Make Willy Wonka’s hat
- Make BFG’s Dream Jar
Make and eat some recipes based on Dahl’s books. The Roald Dahl Revolting Recipes Book has a great list, or you could try the plenty of ideas available online. A few are listed here:
Here’s how to make every giant’s favorite whizpopping beverage Frobscottle from Roald Dahl’s classic tale, The BFG.